Democracy Debate 1.0
- Grades: Boys and girls in upcoming grades 4-9 for the 2020-2021 school year
- Location: West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North
- Dates: June 22 - June 26
- Time: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Staff: Director: Mike Jackson, M.A. Curriculum, Instruction and Supervision; Community Middle School Social Studies/U.S. History Teacher, Princeton University Woodrow Wilson Fellow, Rider University Practicum in Education Mentor Teacher, Former World History Teacher & Lead Pilot Teacher of the 8th Grade Global Challenge -- awarded “Best Practice in Education” at the United Nations; Published Co-Author of “They’re Doing it in Social Studies ...Because They Have a Voice” on Teaching Controversial issues via Switch-Side Debate & Democratic Discussion: WW-P District Strategic Planning Team; Trenton Times & Trentonian “Coach of the Year.”
- More staff information
- Fee: $270
- Residency: No residency restrictions.
Debate & Mock Trial 1.0 is our beginner/intermediate level camp designed for debaters with little to no experience in Debate or Mock Trial. We will debate local & state issues such as the pros and cons social media, school uniforms, video games, and homework... The older and more advanced debaters will eventually debate more sophisticated and/or national issues such immigration, gun control, freedom of speech, healthcare, alternative energy vs fossil fuels, and minimum wage. Campers will learn primarily from the modeling of our all-star staff comprised of award winning teachers and student members of the High school Debate, Mock Trial, and Model Congress team as well as carefully selected video clips of award-winning middle school debate and mock trial teams. Campers will come away from Olympic Debate & Mock Trial 1.0 Camp with the foundation of evidence-based argumentation necessary to succeed not only in debates, but in ANY argument. They will learn to apply specific tools and strategies such as the C-W-I approach = Claim (your assertion/what you set out to prove) - Warrant (reasons/evidence) - Impact (results/why your argument matters) and the 3-step Refutation Model (You said... However... therefore...). Each morning and afternoon will culminate with a spirited competition and awards will be presented to the top debaters at the end of the week. The week will culminate with a festive Olympic Debate Competition and a Mock Trial.
Pre and Post Camp are also available at Community Middle School through WWP Community Education for an additional fee. WW-P Leadership Camp staff members will escort the campers between the two schools. Registration for Pre and/or Post Camp is done directly with WWP Community Education.
Financial Assistance is available; if you plan to apply you cannot register online. Please come to our office or call x1719 for detailed information.
Staff to camper ratio: 1 to 8