Rental Inspection Guidelines
This page is provided as a courtesy only to help you prepare for a rental inspection and does not preclude the citing of other sections of the Plainsboro Housing Ordinance.
- Unit must be vacant, clean and ready for re-occupancy at the time of inspection.
- Carpets must be cleaned. If carpets do not appear to be clean the inspector will require carpeting be re-cleaned or if in poor condition, replaced.
- Interior painting must be in very good condition.
- All appliances must be clean inside and out and operable.
- Smoke alarms will be tested and interconnected alarms must all sound together. Note: Smoke alarms should be installed according to the manufacturer’s installation instructions. NFPA 72 requires that smoke alarms be placed at least 3 feet from any source of air movement of any bathrooms containing a tub or shower.
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) devices will be tested. If defective they must be replaced. These devices may be found in bathrooms, kitchens, garages, basements and outside.
- Fireplace and/or wood burning stoves, if more than 3 years old, must be certified safe for use by a chimney sweep certified by the National Chimney Sweep Guild. The Housing Certificate of Occupancy cannot be issued until this report is received.
- Oil or gas furnaces must be inspected by a heating professional and certified safe for use. The Housing Certificate of Occupancy cannot be issued until this report is received.
- Carbon monoxide alarms are required to be in the immediate vicinity of all sleeping areas in all buildings that contain fuel-burning appliances, fireplaces or have attached garages. They shall be battery operated, hard-wired or of the plug-in type and installed on wall, ceiling or in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
- A fire extinguisher is required in a townhouse or single family home. It is not required in a condo.
- Garage door opener must plug directly into outlet. Extension cords cannot be used to supply power to the opener.
- Electrical power must be on for the inspection
- Bath mechanical ventilation fans must be operating and free of lint.
- Furnace and kitchen range hood must have a clean filter and be in operable condition.
Do you have a permit that is still open? Have you had work done that requires a permit?
(i.e. water heater replaced, furnace replaced, deck or hardscape work, finished basement, any alteration or renovation work, hot tub or spa installed, etc.)
If you are not sure, please contact the Building Division at 609-799-0909, ext. 2545
This inspection is visual only. It should not be considered a guarantee or warranty of any kind.