Remarriage & reaffirmation Licenses
NOTE: VITAL RECORD REQUEST (BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH) HOURS ARE 8:30 TO 3:30 PM. MONDAY - FRIDAY. marriage APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE FOR AVAILABILITY.
Applying for a License
- If either applicant resides in Plainsboro and the ceremony will take place in New Jersey
- If applicants reside outside of New Jersey, but the ceremony is taking place in Plainsboro
Couples must appear in person in the Municipal Center. Couples must provide proof of the Original marriage/civil union to the same partner in the form of a certified copy. Please do not sign the license beforehand, the oath must be administered in the office.
The couple must bring the following:
- Proof of the Original marriage/civil union to the same partner
- A witness who is at least 18 years old
- Proof of residency (lease, mortgage, utility bill or valid New Jersey driver’s license)
- Original birth certificates with a raised seal or valid passports
- If applicable, Original divorce papers with a raised seal, civil annulment documents or civil union dissolved/domestic partnership termination documents
- If applicable, Original death certificates for deceased spouse, civil union or domestic partner
- Social security numbers
- Name of the municipality in which the ceremony will take place (the physical location, not the mailing address)
- Date of the ceremony
- Name and address of the person who is performing the ceremony
- Mothers’ maiden names
- Place (State or Country) where parents were born
There is a $28 fee payable by Cash or Money Order at the time of the application. There is no waiting period for the license and will be issued on the same day. Licenses are valid for 30 days from the issued date.
Effective August, 1997, New Jersey no longer requires a blood test.