- Police Department
- Firearms Information and Application Instructions
Firearms Information and Application Instructions
Firearms ID and Purchase Permit Application Procedures
**THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR FIREARMS ID CARDS AND PURCHASE PERMITS ONLY - NOT TO BE USED FOR CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT APPLICATIONS**
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants:
Step 1: Visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
Step 2: Enter Plainsboro Police Department ORI #NJ0121800
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of 2 reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: PAYMENT for your INITIAL Firearms ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permits may be made in person at the Plainsboro Township Police Department OR electronically by following this link: Electronic Payment for Firearms
The associated fees are - $50.00 for Firearms ID cards and $25.00 for each Purchase Permit.
Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the ID Card / Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
- Once your application is complete, a department representative will contact you.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
All first time applicants MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by the state contracted company IndentoGo (Morpho Trust). This information and appointment form will be provided upon the submission of your properly completed firearms application.
Please note that if you have lived outside of New Jersey within the past 10 years you must manually fill out the, Consent for Mental Health Records Search and submit in person.
You will receive notification via the FARS system when your electronic FID and/or Purchase Permits have been issued and also by notification by this office.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
Please direct all questions via email to: FirearmsApplication@Plainsboropolice.com
Permit to carry a handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
Out of State Resident – apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
In State Resident – apply to your local police department (State Police patrolled areas apply to local Barracks)
ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Naturalization paperwork/Green Card.
- One (1) State of New Jersey Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun, form SP642. Must be Double sided and notarized
- Two (2) color passport size photographs.
- Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
- Submit proof of qualification with a certified firearms instructor along with firearms instructor proof of certification.
- Any application submitted through a local police department or municipality will be accompanied by one (1) money order in the amount of $50.00 payable to the New Jersey State Police as well as an additional $150.00 fee paid directly to Plainsboro Township.
- 4 References - can not be blood related or related by law.
**IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
**The required written firearms qualification, in accordance with N.J.A.C 13:54-2.4(B), can be obtained at most firearm ranges throughout the state. A list is also available on the NJSP website, www.NJSP.org > Public Information > Firearms Information >New Jersey Shooting Ranges for RPO Qualification.
**All Applicants (Initial and Renewal) for Permit to Carry a Handgun MUST be fingerprinted. Visit www.Identogo.com to schedule a fingerprint appointment.
** A New Jersey Permit to Carry is valid for two (2) years from time of approval.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
All forms can be found on the NJSP website https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml)