Firearms Information and Application Instructions
Firearms ID and Purchase Permit Application Procedures
**THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR FIREARMS ID CARDS AND PURCHASE PERMITS ONLY - NOT TO BE USED FOR CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT APPLICATIONS**
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants:
Step 1: Visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
Step 2: Enter Plainsboro Police Department ORI #NJ0121800
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of 2 reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: PAYMENT for your INITIAL Firearms ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permits (this does not include Concealed Carry Permits) may be made in person at the Plainsboro Township Police Department OR electronically by following this link: Electronic Payment for Firearms
The associated fees are - $50.00 for Firearms ID cards and $25.00 for each Purchase Permit.
Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the ID Card / Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
- Once your application is complete, a department representative will contact you.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
All first time applicants MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by the state contracted company IndentoGo (Morpho Trust). This information and appointment form will be provided upon the submission of your properly completed firearms application.
Please note that if you have lived outside of New Jersey within the past 10 years you must manually fill out the, Consent for Mental Health Records Search and submit in person.
You will receive notification via the FARS system when your electronic FID and/or Purchase Permits have been issued and also by notification by this office.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
Please direct all questions via email to: FirearmsApplication@Plainsboropolice.com
Permit to carry a handgun
The State of New Jersey has implemented a new online application for permits to carry as paper applications are being phased out. You can access this system by following this link https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/ConcealedCarry/
You will need the following to submit for an, "Initial Concealed Carry Permit" application:
- Firearms Identification Card
- SBI Number
- Upload of a recent photograph (on a light background including head and shoulders)
- One (1) Training record completed within the past two (2) years, instructor name, and qualification date.
- Personal Information: including Social Security Number and Driver's License Number.
- Background Information
- For Armored Car Applicants (Only); Upload Employment Letter
- Contact information for four (4) non-family related references.
- Information of handguns to be carried.
- $200 Application Fee
You will need the following to submit for a, "Renewal Concealed Carry Permit" application
- SBI Number, Last Name and Date of Birth for validation
- One (1) training record completed within the past two (2) years, instructor name, and qualification date.
- Any updates to personal Information
- Upload a recent photograph (on a light background including head and shoulders)
- Background Information
- Any updates to Handgun Information
- $200 Application Fee
The Concealed Carry Permits service allows for online submission of both initial and renewal applications. Approved applications are due for renewal every two (2) years. Renewal applications can be submitted up to four (4) months before the expiration date. Concealed Carry Permit applicants need to have been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey and assigned an SBI number before they can apply for a Concealed Carry Permit. If you have never been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey before, start with an application for an Initial Firearms I.D. card here.
You can find the Permit to Carry Safe Handling and Proficiency Certification and Use of Force Training document on the NJSP website here.
If you have lived outside of the state of New Jersey in the last ten (10) years, please fill out form SP-066 (Consent for Mental Health Records) and upload it to your application.
**All Applicants (Initial and Renewal) for Permit to Carry a Handgun MUST be fingerprinted. Visit www.Identogo.com to schedule a fingerprint appointment.
All forms can be found on the NJSP website https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml)